I really like the quote:
"The more our young people know about cultural context in which they're operating, the better their competence as business leaders."Charlie Kolb, Committee for Economic Development
I support learning Chinese for several reasons:
- China is going to be the largest economy soon. To facilitate future job opportunity, learn Chinese.
- About 1/5 of the world population speaks Chinese, it makes sense to know Chinese and its culture. Learn Chinese.
- Chinese is a very different language from the Romanised languages. It is one of the most interesting and oldest language which is still in use. Learn Chinese.
- It is very easy to learn.*
- It is one of the best natural language for robotic control.**
- The input of Chinese into computer, once mastered, is fast and efficient.***
*Chinese is easy to learn.
**Best natural language for robotic control
I am not the first one to notice that. I was told by the inventor of the Chongji input method, Mr. Chu. Mr. Chu, after analysing all the Chinese characters he can put his hand on (about 56,000), he noticed a regular pattern and hence invented the input method.
***The input of Chinese into computer, once mastered, is fast and efficient.
Against intuition, Chinese input is actually faster in many ways than English.
For reference, a Hong Kong primary student won a public competition at the speed as fast as 200 Chinese word per minute.[Source]