Two features of Google Map will definitely be used by innovative teachers once how to use them become available.
1. Embed maps directly into web pages, like youTube videos, by copy and paste a snippet of HTML.
To do this:
1. Navigate to the location you want to show on Google Map.
2. On the top right corner of the map, there is a [link to this page]. Click it to get a sniplet of HTML.
3. Copy and paste to your web page
Here is an example, the area I live in:
View Larger Map
2. My Map which allow users to define areas, add text or links.
[More on this when I have time.]