Wednesday 3 November 2004

EDUCHAOS: Tuning in to your own voice!

Another edition of EduChaos by Marie Jasinski is now out. A good read and very inspiring.

My own story:

It was about 20 years ago.

My wife was a mezzo-supremo and she wanted me to go to a choir with her weekly. So I accompanied her to the choir, sat on a side chair and I refused, definitely and positively, to join. You know, I had never sang. I knew not one song, not even a nursery tune. My scale was sang like this.

It was like that for weeks.

But every time, the members of the choir kept encouraging me. Told me how desperate that they needed male singer. Told me how easy it would be. Encourage, motivation, enthusiasm kept coming.

It was not easy. It took a lot of courage to just sit with the bass section. I dare not produce a sound. But, it got better. By the end of the first session I joined in, I had sang a bass line (simple, just lower C and following a simple rhythm). It was the inner fear of failure and embarrassment that has prevented me to join in. With encourage, I joined and found out that it was not difficult.

For the next 5 years, I happily went to the choir with my wife every week and even performed in public.

Thanks Marie for her story which help me bring back a memory I have almost forgotten.

No comments: