Sunday 9 April 2006

Instruction Design Verse Learning Design

From Wikipedia

Instructional design, also known as instructional systems design, is the analysis of learning needs and systematic development of instruction.


From Unpacking Learning Design
Learning Design can be broadly described as a philosophical approach to the design of learning environments and learning resources which aim to foster deep learning by engaging learners in authentic, active and interactive learning experiences.


The term "learning design" is used to describe the body of work that would come out from the shift in focus when pedagogy focus on the learner in stead of the skill of the teacher (Unlearning pedagogy):
formal education erred in focusing on the skills of the teacher, when it was the learner who ought to be the centre and focus of pedagogy

4 comments:

rlubensky said...

Hi Albert, thanks for link to the Journal of Learning Design at QUT.

Although like you I'm in Melbourne, I'm currently doing a Masters of Learning Science and Technology (MLS&T) degree at USYD, which focuses on pedagogy and epistomological underpinnings of ID theories. The editorial of V1 of JLD has the woolliest definition of Learning Design and makes it clear that its bias is toward the epistomology of Activity Theory. I'm not against AT, I'm against a narrow view of learning design.

I think most people would view Instructional Design as the practice of configuring learning environments and creating learning resources. Instructional Systems Design is the process methodology to create learning resources. And Instructional-Design Theory (or Learning Design Theory or Educational Design Theory) is "a theory that offers explicit guidance on how to better help people learn and develop" (from Reigeluth 1999, Instructional-Design Theories and Models V2)

ps. I can't Co-Comment this.

Albert Ip said...

Ron,

I agree with you that the definition in JLD is too narrow and hence I did not quote their second bit.

The keynote paper on V1 points to one thing I always wanted to express. While ID does not limit the design to "instructivitic" designs, I like to embrace a term which will term to the forefront the "constructivitic" design to learning - e.g. learning ecology etc.

rlubensky said...

Yes, I think we are actually on the same plane. And you infer a problem we all have in that we need to shift people forward from the classroom metaphor. It starts with the language we use. I wrote that ID was about "configuring learning environments", I didn't mean LMSs (alone) but the facilitation or guidance for learning experiences. So, if I change my definition of ID to "configuring or facilitating learning experiences", does this come closer?

Albert Ip said...

Hi Ron,

yes we are.

I put the same ideas to ITForum and am finding a lot of exciting new ideas from there. Will summarise when the discussion die down.